Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Number 22: Proverbs 23:24


Pro 23:24 The father of godly children has cause for joy. What a pleasure to have children who are wise. 
#22 of H1523

"I haven't done this in a while. And I thought... You know... I need to get back into a bible study, and I have this blog and hey I'll do that. Of course this is the next verse. I don't really want to deal with any verses about children right now."

That was my attempt to keep going with this project about... 223 days ago. It was what was sitting in the draft, waiting for me. I decided to include it because, well, it's honest. It's full disclosure. 223 days is a long time. My own questions to myself are: Does that make me a quitter? Is it a joke to be even doing this? Come on, I am 22 verses in. 22. Out of hundreds. And who am I to even be writing these things? Why should you listen to me? I've got nothin'.

Unlike the apostle Paul, I don't come to you with all kinds of qualifications that would give me cause to boast. I like to research, I want to get into the Word, and being Joyful is a personal goal. I feel like I started this for a reason and I ought to end it, even if it takes me my whole freakin' life. But I don't think anyone would really say, "Hey! Getting focused on Joy is a bad idea."

Enough about me.

Oh wait, more about me. Why did it take me 223 days to get back to this verse? I had a miscarriage. Talking about children and what a joy they are to have was just a bit of a sensitive subject. And though that's not the case anymore, I am still not entirely sure what to say about the verse. I am sure it is true, despite being unable to speak from personal experience ;)

That's not to say the verse doesn't apply to me. I am a child of my parents and, more importantly, a child of God. Though this blog is focused, perhaps a bit selfishly, on how to have joy personally, its important to remember that Joy is also an attribute of our Heavenly Father. So if an earthly father has "cause for joy" when his children are godly and wise, then how much more does our Heavenly one enjoy it? Maybe my silly little search for wisdom makes Him smile! I'll take it :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment