Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Verses Four and Five: Psa 13:4-5

Psa 13:4-5 my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. (NIV)
(4 and 5 of the 44 H1523)

Hi btw, I know it's been a while. Moving, Christmas, new stuff to get used to, losing my list and not having a printer...you get the idea. Thanks for hanging in there though, if you have been! Ok so back to the project, shall we? 

This Psalm is so short its almost worth putting the whole thing in there just to save me some time on explanation :) But at the same time these two verse sum it all up nicely because what strikes me the most about this is that what David, the author, knows overcomes what he feels. He feels the attack from the enemy, he feels a disconnect between his soul and God, a distance. He feels as though the Lord is "hiding (His) face" from him. He feels forgotten. He is wrestling with sorrow. But then in verse four, its as if he goes from pouring his fears out to God and begins to declare what he knows to be true. This is how he is able to get through the emotional turmoil. 

He knows that enemy is there and he knows that enemy will rejoice in his failures as a flawed human being. Something we can all relate to. But he doesn't stop there. He also knows a greater truth, which is what he states in verse five, "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation."

Unfailing Love: When there is unfailing love, there is no doubt that despite all you've done wrong, you're still loved. Seems almost stupid to say. "Hey did you know that when something doesn't fail it means it never dies/goes/away/ends?" Uh...yeah...thanks kinda put that one together all by myself. But let that sink in! I mean, this is exactly what David needs, he has FAILED and not only is the world seeing it, but the underworld is seeing it and mocking his, torturing him with regret and shame. His self-worth is utterly shattered. The only thing that is going to save him is Love. A love that he has to take a leap of faith and trust is unfailing. Eternal. The existence of that love along with his acknowledgment, faith and trust in it, is what saves him form himself and his enemies. It is then that in verse six we can read that David  "will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me."
Amen to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment